The average rate for liability auto insurance is $641 a year. Your actual cost for liability coverage depends mostly on where you live, your driving history, your car and more. Depending on your auto insurance company, you may be able to reduce your annual premium further with discounts.
This article will cover:
How much does liability car insurance cost?
Based on our research, the current average cost for liability car insurance is $641 a year, or $53 a month. The cost of liability car insurance, commonly known as minimum coverage, varies from state to state.
The table below shows the average annual and monthly costs of liability car insurance in each state. It also shows each state's minimum required auto insurance limits you need to have in the format of bodily injury coverage per person/bodily injury coverage per accident/property damage coverage.
|State||Annual premium||Monthly premium||Liability requirements|
|Florida||$1,344||$112||10 PIP/10 PDL|
|Note: Average rates are based on non-binding estimates provided by Quadrant Information Services. Your rates may vary. *While liability car insurance is not required in New Hampshire, these are the minimum limits state law requires if you do purchase it.|
As you can see, the average cost of liability car insurance can vary a great deal from state to state. Not only that, but the costs do not reflect a state's minimum limits. For instance, New Mexico and New York have the same minimum required limits for liability car insurance, yet New York's average cost is more than twice the amount of New Mexico's.
The average cost of liability insurance is $53 per month. See how your rates compare.
Cheapest liability car insurance companies
Erie has the cheapest liability coverage, at $371 per year. Several companies sell liability coverage at a price below the national average. Your final rate will be based on various factors including what kind of car you drive, your driving history and the limits you choose.
What affects your liability car insurance costs
Your cost for auto liability insurance is calculated based on the state average cost plus claim risk-influencing factors. These factors may increase or decrease your final auto insurance premium. These variables include:
- The car you drive: Your car's make and model and age will factor into the cost of your liability car insurance. If you have any custom work done to the car, that will affect the cost as well.
- Your driving history: If you have tickets, accidents or DUIs on your driving record, you will likely see higher liability car insurance rates. Auto insurance companies may raise rates by 20% or more if you have tickets on your record.
- The coverage limits you chose: Raising your liability auto insurance limits will result in higher annual premium costs. Despite this, we recommend going with higher liability limits. A state's minimum coverage limits can easily be inadequate to cover a major accident. To give yourself adequate coverage, we recommend raising your liability limits to 100/300/100. Increasing your liability limits is usually not too expensive, despite the higher coverage values they provide.
How to find cheap liability car insurance
When buying liability auto insurance coverage, there are some steps you can take to make sure you're getting your best rate:
- Discounts: Many auto insurance companies offer premium discounts that can reduce your costs considerably. There are discounts for bundling your auto insurance with a home or health insurance policy, for paying your premium upfront and many more. Talk to your provider and see what discounts they have that you qualify for.
- Compare quotes: An easy way to help find your best liability car insurance rate is to compare quotes from multiple auto insurance companies. Being able to see many quotes side by side allows you to compare coverage offerings and premiums in order to find your best policy option.
QuoteWizard.com LLC has made every effort to ensure that the information on this site is correct, but we cannot guarantee that it is free of inaccuracies, errors, or omissions. All content and services provided on or through this site are provided "as is" and "as available" for use. QuoteWizard.com LLC makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the operation of this site or to the information, content, materials, or products included on this site. You expressly agree that your use of this site is at your sole risk.