Where to Find Cheap Car Insurance in Utah
USAA has the cheapest auto insurance rates in Utah, at $55 a month. That's 35% lower than the average premium in the state of $85 a month. State Farm has the second-cheapest rate, at $61 a month.
Auto insurance rates tend to be relatively lower in Utah, but a little bit of research can save you even more money.
Find the best car insurance at the lowest price in Utah.
In this article:
Which car insurance companies have the cheapest rates in Utah?
Which companies have the cheapest auto insurance in Utah depends on whether you're looking for minimum-coverage or full-coverage car insurance. We found that USAA has the cheapest car insurance in Utah at $663 a year, or $55 a month, for minimum coverage.
For full-coverage, Progressive has the cheapest car insurance in Utah at $1,171 a year, or $98 a month.
Looking for cheap car insurance in Utah?
Which cities in Utah have the cheapest car insurance?
Of the 10 most populated cities in Utah, St. George has the lowest average car insurance rate of $133 a month. West Valley has the highest rate, at $171 a month.
|City||Average monthly rate|
|Salt Lake City||$160|
|Average rates are based on non-binding estimates provided by Quadrant Information Services. Your rates may vary.|
Best car insurance companies in Utah
We took a deep dive into the seven most popular car insurance companies in Utah. These four stood out:
- State Farm: lowest overall minimum-coverage rates
- Progressive: best full-coverage rates
- Farmers: best money-saving options for young drivers
- Allstate: best car and home insurance bundling discount
Get quotes from some of Utah's best car insurers
State Farm: cheapest minimum-coverage rates
State Farm has Utah's cheapest minimum-coverage car insurance at $61 a month. While USAA has the overall lowest average auto insurance rates for minimum coverage in Utah, it only sells insurance to members of the military and their families.
On top of offering low minimum car insurance rates, State Farm is also the most popular auto insurance provider in Utah. The company holds 15% of the car insurance market share, with Geico second, at 12%.
Progressive: cheapest full-coverage rates
Progressive has an average rate of $98 a month for full-coverage car insurance in Utah. That's 32% less than the state average of $145 a month.
Progressive also has an above-average score of 823 out of 1,000 in the 2021 J.D. Power U.S. Auto Insurance Study. J.D. Power surveys policyholders on how satisfied they are with their insurer. If you're looking for good full-coverage auto insurance with a company that has a history of keeping its customers, consider Progressive.
Farmers: best discounts for young drivers
Teen drivers have the highest auto insurance rates of any demographic due to lack of experience behind the wheel. For example, a 16-year-old driver in Utah pays an average $401 a month for auto insurance. If you are or have a teenage driver in your household, Farmers has many discounts that can help knock down costs:
- Youthful driver discount: if you're under 25 years old and the child or grandchild of the named insured on the policy, you may get a discount.
- Good student discount: you can get a discount if you maintain a 3.0 GPA or better, or you're on the dean's list or honor roll, or in the top 20% of your class or top 20% on standardized testing.
- Shared family car discount: if you're 20 years old or younger and there are more drivers than vehicles in your household, Farmers may have a discount for you.
Allstate: best car and home insurance bundle
Allstate's average home insurance rate of $77 a month is less than the state average of $85 a month. The company stands out with its bundling discount. Many insurers offer the opportunity to bundle home and car insurance in order to save money on both premiums. However, while other companies' bundling discounts may be between 5% and 10%, Allstate's bundling discount may save you up to 25%. This can save you hundreds of dollars over the course of a year.
Allstate insurance bundle discount in Utah
- Minimum car insurance rate: $77 per month
- With 25% bundling discount: $58 per month
- Full-coverage car insurance rate: $152 per month
- With 25% bundling discount: $114 per month
Utah's minimum car insurance requirements
Utah state law requires drivers to carry the following minimum auto insurance limits:
- Bodily injury liability per person: $25,000
- Bodily injury liability per accident: $65,000
- Property damage liability per accident: $15,000
Additionally, Utah is a no-fault state. This means that your auto insurance provider will pay for your damages and medical bills regardless of who is responsible in the event of an accident. Accordingly, Utah state law also requires drivers to carry at least $3,000 in personal injury protection (PIP) coverage. PIP covers costs that may arise after an accident, such as medical expenses and lost wages.
While these limits may seem high, an extended hospital stay or court case after an accident can burn through them quickly. Any costs above your limits come out of your pocket. In order to secure your own financial protection and peace of mind, we recommend increasing your coverage limits to the following:
- Bodily injury liability per person: $100,000
- Bodily injury liability per accident: $300,000
- Property damage liability per accident: $100,000
We used Quadrant Information Services to generate thousands of car insurance quotes from every ZIP code in Utah from the following providers:
- American Family
- State Farm
Our sample car used to generate quotes was a 2012 Honda Accord LX with an annual 13,500 miles and a 35-year-old male driver with Utah minimum liability limits:
- $100,000/$300,000 bodily injury liability per person/per accident
- $100,000 property damage liability
- $500 collision and comprehensive deductible
QuoteWizard.com LLC has made every effort to ensure that the information on this site is correct, but we cannot guarantee that it is free of inaccuracies, errors, or omissions. All content and services provided on or through this site are provided "as is" and "as available" for use. QuoteWizard.com LLC makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the operation of this site or to the information, content, materials, or products included on this site. You expressly agree that your use of this site is at your sole risk.