Floods are such a common and costly disaster that insurance companies won't cover them in standard homeowners policies. Instead, you have to buy a separate insurance policy to protect your home and belongings from flood damage. Here is some key information to help you decide if you need flood insurance.

In this article

How do I know if I need flood insurance?

If you have a government-backed home loan and reside in a high-risk flood zone, you're required by federal law to have flood insurance. A high-risk zone is an area with a 1% chance of flooding in any given year, based on data collected and mapped by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

Even if your lender does not require flood insurance, you may still want to purchase it. Here are the main reasons to consider flood insurance if you don't have a mortgage or your home is outside a high-risk flood zone:

Flood damage can be expensive

According to Statista, the cost to repair structural home damage due to flooding reached an estimated $13.5 billion in 2022. This price tag will increase by an estimated 25%, to $17 billion, by 2052. FEMA estimates that 25% of flood claims come from low to moderate flood risk zones. Flood damage is not covered by a standard home insurance policy. Investing in flood insurance helps prevent financial peril.

Disaster assistance has limitations

Federal disaster relief requires a presidential emergency declaration and typically includes grants, which average about $5,000, and low-interest loans. Flood insurance can provide up to $250,000 in building coverage and up to $100,000 in contents coverage, including coverage for floods that don't meet the threshold for a presidential emergency declaration.

The best way to tell if you need flood insurance is to look up your address, or the address of a home you want to buy, on a FEMA flood map. These are available online at the Flood Map Service Center on the FEMA website.

After you enter your address in the search window, the system will pull up a map showing the flood risks in your neighborhood.

  • High-risk flood zones, also known as Special Flood Hazard Areas, begin with the letter A or V, such as Zone A1 or Zone VE.
  • Zone B and some Zone X designations indicate moderate risk.
  • Zone C and some Zone X designations denote low-risk flood zones.

If you're buying a home, the seller does not need to disclose its flood risk. Your own real estate agent should know but might not. Your lender, on the other hand, is required to look up the property's flood risk and let you know if you need flood insurance.

How much flood insurance do I need?

When your mortgage requires flood insurance, you usually need to obtain building coverage in the lesser of the following amounts:

  • The home's replacement cost value, which is the cost of rebuilding it to its existing specifications and quality grade in the event of a total loss.
  • The maximum amount of building coverage available through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), currently $250,000.
  • Your loan balance.

For example, if the replacement cost value of your home is $150,000, and you finance it with a $120,000 loan, your lender will require a building coverage limit of at least $120,000. If you finance a $500,000 home with a $400,000 loan, your lender will require $250,000 in building coverage, the NFIP's maximum limit.

If you buy flood insurance on an optional basis through the NFIP, you can usually choose any amount of building coverage, up to the $250,000 limit. Some private flood insurance companies offer higher limits.

In addition to building coverage, flood insurance is usually offered with contents coverage, which covers your belongings.

The best way to determine how much contents coverage you need is to create a list of your possessions, including clothes, furniture, appliances and other personal property, and the estimated value of each item. Then add up their total value.

How do I get flood insurance?

The best way to get flood insurance is to begin by asking your current homeowners insurance agent, or the agents you are shopping with, for a flood insurance quote. Most local insurance agencies have at least one agent on staff who is authorized to sell NFIP flood insurance and/or policies available through private flood insurance companies.

The average cost of flood insurance is $874 per year, or $73 a month. It's best to compare your NFIP quote with private flood insurance companies in your area. Some private companies offer more coverage than an NFIP policy does.

Also important to note:

  • NFIP policies have a 30-day waiting period, unless you get one with a home loan. Private flood insurance is sometimes available with a shorter waiting period.
  • Flood insurance does not cover damage to your car resulting from a flood. Auto insurance only covers it if your policy includes comprehensive coverage.

QuoteWizard.com LLC has made every effort to ensure that the information on this site is correct, but we cannot guarantee that it is free of inaccuracies, errors, or omissions. All content and services provided on or through this site are provided "as is" and "as available" for use. QuoteWizard.com LLC makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the operation of this site or to the information, content, materials, or products included on this site. You expressly agree that your use of this site is at your sole risk.