You can begin receiving car insurance coverage from any major insurer the same day you've purchased a policy. We'll guide you through the process of getting instant car insurance quotes.
This article covers
How to get a same-day auto insurance quote
Most insurance policies, with rare exceptions, activate the day you buy them and would be considered "same day" auto insurance. Most major insurers and some regional ones will usually let you set the plan start date as early as the same day you've signed up for a policy.
Major national insurers usually let you apply for a quote online or in person. Online is usually the quickest method of obtaining a policy. However, some companies that provide an online signup option require you to finish the process at one of their local offices.
Select the insurance coverage you want
Nearly every state requires you to buy a minimum amount of car insurance in order to operate a vehicle. In most cases, this means you'll need to get a policy that meets your state's required liability limits at the very least. Depending on your budget and situation, you should consider additional coverages, too, such as:
- Collision coverage, which covers your damages after a crash.
- Comprehensive coverage, which covers non-collision damages to your car. This includes "acts of God," like natural disasters and theft.
- Uninsured/underinsured coverage, which takes care of your damages and medical bills after a crash involving a driver with no auto insurance or insufficient insurance limits. Some states require uninsured/underinsured coverage and have required minimums.
Although these coverages are optional, they provide protection state-minimum car insurance does not. These additional coverages are meant to financially reimburse you for damages you sustain in an accident, while minimum coverage mainly functions to protect other drivers. If your car is new or expensive, we recommend spending a little extra on additional protection.
Choose your coverage limits
Make sure you get the correct limits you need to fully protect your assets, not just the legal minimums. We recommend getting the following liability coverage limits:
- Bodily injury coverage per person: $100,000
- Bodily injury coverage per accident: $300,000
- Property damage coverage: $100,000
Raising your liability limits to these amounts can help protect you financially. How much car insurance you need varies from person to person, but it's generally a good idea to get more than the minimum amount.
In most states, required liability limits are quite low, and a major crash can easily reach and go beyond your limits. Any personal property damage or medical bills beyond your liability limits will have to be paid out of your own pocket, so find limits that will give you peace of mind. Both collision and comprehensive coverage limits equal the actual cash value of your car.
Find a quote comparison site
Many car insurance providers make use of quote comparison sites. You make your quote request on a single site, it goes to many different auto insurers and then you have multiple quotes to compare. The more quotes you have to look at, the better your chances of finding your best coverage at the cheapest price.
There are two main ways to get auto insurance quotes. Speed is the most significant difference between the two:
|You take a few minutes to request a quote. We send it to several auto insurance companies that can quickly provide you with multiple quotes. It's the fastest way to find your best coverage at a good price.||You enter the same information on multiple insurance websites, which could take hours. Also, if you don't enter the same exact information every time, the quotes you get might not match up when comparing the same coverage.|
Comparing quotes with QuoteWizard is the way to go if you want a fast quote. Getting an instant car insurance quote is quick and free, and here's how you do it:
Get instant car insurance quotes
What do I need for an instant car insurance quote?
To get an instant auto insurance quote, you'll need the following information:
You'll need to enter some personal information for a quote. Collecting this information will probably take longer than getting your quote, but it's necessary to make sure the quote is accurate. It includes:
- ZIP code
- Marital status
- Credit score
- Your current auto insurance provider and insurance coverage
- How long you've had car insurance
- Accident, ticket and DUI history
- The same information for anyone else added to the policy
Make sure that all your information is correct when you enter it. It's going to be on your official policy, and any error could lead to coverage rejection or other problems down the line. Getting the correct auto insurance you need is more important than how quickly you type everything in.
For the car or cars you're looking to get quotes for, have the following information on hand:
- Current mileage
- Year, make and model of car
- Car's date of purchase
- Name of the car's registered owner
Auto insurance policy information
Make the following decisions before you start looking for auto insurance quotes:
- Start date of your auto insurance policy
- Expiration date of your policy
- Desired coverage limits
Most auto insurance providers allow you to request a coverage start date anywhere from that day to 30 days away. If you're buying a new car, have your car insurance begin on the day you actually own the car. Auto insurance cannot be backdated to start before you buy the policy.
Should you get same-day car insurance?
Since same-day insurance is essentially the same as any standard insurance policy, there are no cost differences. However, we do not recommend you purchase a policy in a day. Even if you're in a rush to obtain an auto policy, you should still give yourself ample time to shop around and get quotes from as many insurers as possible to obtain your best rates.
Why can't I get an instant auto insurance quote?
Getting a same-day auto insurance quote is typically a fairly easy process. Car insurance providers designed their tools to get you the quote you need quickly to beat out their competitors. However, there can be some instances where it can take more time, including if:
- You recently moved. If your current address isn't able to be verified, you can expect some delays. Auto insurance companies verify your information before underwriting a policy, so any discrepancies can cause delays.
- You have a custom or unique car. Custom and other high-end vehicles can take longer to quote because the auto insurer needs to factor in the value of the work that's been done to the car, which isn't usually a quick process.
- You have a poor insurance history. If your auto insurance record shows a history of accidents or multiple claims, providers may be reluctant to offer a quote. This isn't to say it's impossible for you to get auto insurance — it could just take a bit longer.
If you find out the reason for the delay, do what you can to help rectify the situation. If this can't be done, look at another quote or contact a different insurance company.
QuoteWizard.com LLC has made every effort to ensure that the information on this site is correct, but we cannot guarantee that it is free of inaccuracies, errors, or omissions. All content and services provided on or through this site are provided "as is" and "as available" for use. QuoteWizard.com LLC makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the operation of this site or to the information, content, materials, or products included on this site. You expressly agree that your use of this site is at your sole risk.