State Farm, Progressive, Allstate, AAA and GEICO are some of the most popular homeowners insurance companies in the U.S. These providers all differ in terms of the coverages, discounts and rates they offer. Read on to find out more about how these insurers stack up against each other.
Best for prices
Allstate is the best option if you're looking for the most affordable rates for home insurance. Its average annual rate of $1,714 is $140 cheaper than State Farm, which has the second-cheapest rates in our study. GEICO and Progressive don't underwrite homeowners insurance policies; instead, they match you with one of their home insurance partners.
AllstateRead Full Review
|Company||Average annual rate||Average monthly rate|
|American Strategic Insurance (Progressive partner)||$2,044||$170|
|Chubb (GEICO partner)||$1,914||$160|
|Travelers (GEICO partner)||$2,532||$211|
|Note: Average rates are based on non-binding estimates provided by Quadrant Information Services. Your rates may vary.|
Best for customer service
Based on State Farm and AAA’s overall J.D. Power scores and low Complaint Index ratings, we concluded that both insurance companies have the best customer service compared to the other insurers on our list.
State Farm, AAA and Allstate customers have above-average overall satisfaction scores, according to J.D. Power’s 2021 U.S. Home Insurance Study. Satisfaction surveys include interaction, policy offerings, price, billing process, policy information and claims.
- State Farm: 835
- AAA: 834
- Allstate: 829
- American Strategic Insurance (Progressive partner): 821
- Chubb (GEICO partner): 801
- Travelers (GEICO partner): 800
Relative to its size, Chubb has the fewest complaints reported for home insurance, according to 2020 data from the NAIC. The National Complaint Index is a measure of formal complaints made against an insurance company. The National Complaint Index is always 1.0, which means that an insurer that has a score higher than 1 receives more complaints than what’s expected for a company of its size.
- Chubb (GEICO partner): 0.31
- Travelers (GEICO partner): 0.52
- AAA: 0.71
- State Farm: 0.74
- American Strategic Insurance (Progressive partner): 0.96
- Allstate: 1.00
Best for coverages
Allstate and State Farm offer the largest list of home insurance coverages, based on our comparison. The add-ons available from Allstate are fairly uncommon. This includes homesharing insurance, which provides additional protection for your belongings while renting out your home.
Because Progressive and GEICO don't underwrite their policies, their coverages may vary between their network of third parties. However, most insurers provide standard coverages for home insurance.
|Personal property coverage|
|Guest medical protection|
|Temporary living expenses|
|Identity theft restoration or fraud coverage (optional/add-on)||Offers a separate policy for identity protection||Not offered||Offers a separate policy for identity protection|
|Water backup (optional/add-on)||Optional coverage may be offered by one of their partners||Not offered||Optional coverage may be offered by one of their partners|
|Homesharing insurance (optional/add-on)||Optional coverage may be offered by one of their partners||Not offered||Optional coverage may be offered by one of their partners|
|Umbrella policy (optional/add-on)||Optional coverage may be offered by one of their partners||Optional coverage may be offered by one of their partners|
Best for discounts
State Farm, Allstate, Progressive, AAA and GEICO all offer their customers the chance to save on their premium. Allstate and AAA offer more discounts than their competitors.
|Home safety and alarms|
|Loyalty with insurer|
|Newly constructed home or recent homebuyer||Newly purchased only|
|Quote in advance|
|Receive documents by email|
|Pay in full|
|AAA membership discount|
Best for bundling
If you have both a home and a car, you can bundle their insurance policies and save on your premiums. Bundling refers to buying multiple policies from the same insurance company. Most insurance companies offer discounts for bundling, but the amount varies between companies.
- Allstate: Save up to 25% when you bundle home and auto policies.
- State Farm: Save up to $965 on home and auto policies.
- Progressive: New customers can save over 20% on average when bundling home and auto policies.
- GEICO. Contact GEICO for details.
- AAA. Up to 15.7% savings on auto and up to 20% on homeowners insurance.
GEICO vs. Progressive
Neither of these companies underwrite home insurance policies. Instead, they offer quotes from multiple home insurance providers. We recommend getting home coverage from either insurer if you already have or are planning to get GEICO or Progressive auto coverage. This will make it easier to manage both policies, and you could take advantage of the bundling discount.
State Farm vs. GEICO
GEICO and State Farm are two of the best-known insurance companies. Unlike GEICO, State Farm underwrites its home insurance policies, which means that you can manage your home insurance policy directly with the company.
State Farm pros
- Offers all the standard coverages, as well as optional coverages.
- Offers more discounts than GEICO.
State Farm cons
- Doesn’t have the cheapest home insurance rates.
- Because GEICO gives you quotes from multiple home insurance companies, you can pick the one that best fits your needs.
- You can’t manage your home insurance policy through GEICO.
- There aren’t as many home insurance discounts to take advantage of compared to State Farm.
Allstate vs. GEICO
Allstate is the best option if you’re looking for affordable home insurance rates, but GEICO is the better choice if you’re looking for an insurer with few complaints.
- Purchase home insurance directly from Allstate.
- Offers many home insurance discounts.
- Has average customer service ratings.
- Provides quotes from multiple companies, which allows you to pick an insurance policy in your price range.
- Few home insurance discounts.
State Farm vs. Allstate
If you’re looking for the cheapest home insurance rates, Allstate is the best option. However, if you’re looking for great customer service ratings, State Farm is the better option.
State Farm pros
- Offers roofing discounts for home insurance.
State Farm cons
- Has fewer discounts compared to most competitors.
- Offers more home insurance discounts than State Farm.
- Offers cheaper rates for home insurance.
- Has average customer satisfaction scores.
QuoteWizard.com LLC has made every effort to ensure that the information on this site is correct, but we cannot guarantee that it is free of inaccuracies, errors, or omissions. All content and services provided on or through this site are provided "as is" and "as available" for use. QuoteWizard.com LLC makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the operation of this site or to the information, content, materials, or products included on this site. You expressly agree that your use of this site is at your sole risk.